Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Where Have They Hidden the Sun

I went to bed early last evening - for some reason I was too tired to stay awake. Of course, by early I mean around 10 pm. But I didn't wake up this morning until 10:30. That is almost unheard of in my experience. I must have needed it. I think my body is feeling so tired all the time because I am living in a perpetually gray world. It is a bit brighter out this morning (actually, it is already afternoon as I write this), but it is still a shade of gray and here is the local weather:


This is so awful for late April.


Anyhoo, on a lighter note, I've framed my other set of pan pastel birds and am quite pleased with how they look. It is quite difficult to get a good picture of it without glare and reflections, but I think you can see it well enough in this pic:





I am working on a new watercolor journal using 140# Strathmore paper and some lovely cover weight charcoal colored paper. I have the paper folded and the covers cut. I've also cut a template for punching the holes. As you can see in the picture below the entire thing needs to spend more time either in the book press that the hubster made for me or at least under my huge unabridged dictionary.





As you know my bookbinding class that was supposed to be at Hollander's last weekend was cancelled. I have always wondered why their classes are so much and now I know. I ordered some of the cover weight paper they used in a previous class I took and they are fabulous. However, they are quite expensive. I really want my books to not only be somewhat arty/creative, but to be made from the finest materials while still charging a reasonable price. I certainly couldn't use these materials all the time.





I think you will agree this is fantabulously beautiful paper - but this small piece (16" x 22") comes at a price of $18.50. I was planning to make soft covers from it with through the spine sewing, but at that price I may have to just use open spine designs.


While I was ordering from Hollander's I also bought more waxed linen thread - this time I ordered sage and plum. And I bought a scalpel with blades that I think may be just the tool to cut covers so that I can sew over tapes and then weave the ends through the covers. 


I am a little sore from my workout yesterday - I did a 1/2 hour program on the treadmill, then spent about 20 minutes with the balance ball, elastic bands and hand weights, and then got back on the treadmill to jog a mile and then walk another 1/2 mile.  I think I am taking today off.


I am expecting Little Miss 3 around 1:00 - that is in about 1/2 hour - and then her sister, Miss 8, will get off the bus here. They will stay with us for dinner and then we will take them to their house for baths and get them in bed and stay until 10:00 ish waiting for their Mom. I'm not sure how much of this latest book I am going to get done, but I love my girls and always have a lovely time with them.

I'd better get this body moving.....

Thanks for stopping by - please feel free to leave a comment and do check out the sale on my handmade books. You can read about it here.

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Great paper, that green marble. It would make such a classy looking spines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh! I know what you mean about the weather. But tomorrow they're calling for sun and warmer temps -- let's hope they're right! I love how your framed and matted birds turned out, and I'm glad to see you're putting your art on your walls. I'm sure your friends and family would like to be able to enjoy your work as much as your online buddies do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your framed birds are lovely! It always amazes me what a difference matting and framing makes - it seems magical to me. I can't even imagine the workout you described here .... I have to go lie down now. lol hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking birds, Vicki...your workout made me tired just reading it...especially since I have not walked my 5 mile routine in over a year! I have to get back on course, I've on half the weight I lost. UGH!

    Have you looked into a full spectrum light used for people who suffer from SAD...I can't remember what the acronym stands for, the first is for Seasonal, blank, Disorder...I'm sure you've heard of it. So many people in cold, grey climates suffer this disorder caused by a lack of sunlight. Also affects Calcium absorption when a person doesn't get enough Vit. D from sunlight...Hope you see the sun soon. I hate to tell you that we've been in the 90's already, back down to the 80s now and soon we'll be baking in the inferno come summer.

    ReplyDelete