Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sunday Book Making

I took a beginning bookmaking class at Hollander's in Ann Arbor on Sunday and it was a blast! I'd been warned by several people that usually you can't accomplish all they say you will, but we all got all the books done and they were really good looking and very well explained.

The teacher, Vicki, was really sweet and demoed each step before we each went back to our work places to do each part. The materials were fantastic and even if you were the last to get to choose your materials, you ended up loving them anyway.

We made a hard cover accordion fold book, a soft cover Japanese stab binding book, a 2-section pamphlet stitch book with a ribbon tie, and a multiple signature book encased in a hard cover. It was such fun that I can't wait to start making my own variations. I think I need more hours in the day to do all the creative things I want to do.


I found out when I read my blogs yesterday that Suze Weinberg was at Hollander's while I was downstairs. It would have been big fun to run into her!

Today I hope to get some time to make the postcards I started last week, finish the ATCs for the "found poetry" swap and get them in the mail, and start something new.

I've just poured my first cup of coffee and am still in my "jammies" so better get a move on. I still need a shower, I am making a trip to Mason with the hubster to take care of some business and pick up a few groceries, and return an order and reorder via the post office. Then it's art time!

I believe this is my 199th post, so in tomorrow's post to celebrate this milestone, I will be having a giveaway. Don't know what it is yet, but I have many lovely things from which to choose. Stay tuned.....

Until tomorrow then.....

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like your instructor was very organized. That was a lot to get done.. and they are lovely!
    Continue expressing your creativity. Time spent creating is
    good time...I enjoy your blog!
    makes me was to say to H-- with the housework and on with the hobbie. bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! the books look fantastic! love the papers you chose for the covers and man ... what a lot of books you made in one class! well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the papers you chose for your handmade books. These would make nice gifts. Keep creating!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these are cool! I love your covers!!! Looks like fun! Marva

    ReplyDelete
  5. what cool looking books!! love the covers.

    and an early congrats on your 200th post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Love the books What a fun thing to do. Have been to Hollanders but never took a class

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see the books "in the flesh". They're really cool in the pics. Maybe you can show me how to make one...or two.....or more. LOL hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful books -- I took a class there years ago and still love the book I made, but oh, to keep making them is another thing! I wish you well!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the memories that just filled my head. I used to order loads of paper and paper making supplies and bookmaking supplies from Hollander's. I loved making books. Yours are gorgeous, as is your whimsical art. I love them all.

    Vicki, thank you for leaving such a kind and warm message for me earlier this summer. Even though it was your fist visit, you were thoughtful enough to leave a few words. I wanted you to know that I truly appreciated that, and your thoughts brought me comfort and healing. Thank you.

    xoxo
    bella

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love taking Hollanders' classes. Haven't taken any this year. The instructors are fantastic. Watch for Cindy May's classes - she's a teacher extraordinaire and a good friend!!

    ReplyDelete