Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sketching, Wood Burning, Fishing and Another Sunset

I think I may have mentioned the other day that I fell hard on my tail bone on the beach. It really hurt, but I thought I was probably lucky to fall on sand rather than on hard ground. Each day it has gotten a bit worse and last night I didn't sleep well because every time I moved it hurt.

Needless to say, I only did about an hour in the gym this morning and didn't push myself too hard. I do think movement and getting the blood moving is good for an injury like this.

It was so foggy this morning I couldn't see the ocean at all and on the other side of the building I couldn't see across the street, but the sun has burned it off by now so when the hubster returns from the gym, we will do a slow walk before getting ready to head out for the day.

We are planning a visit to Fort Pickens and then lunch at Pegleg's. My sister and her husband took us to Fort Pickens last year and we loved it. They may go with us today. They haven't eaten at Pegleg's so it will be new for all of us.

We went to Michael's yesterday and the hubster found some oil colored pencils and colored his wood burning signs. They are spectacular:

Don't you just love these?

I'd really like to try some wood burning, but I'd like to try it with my own art and I think when I get home that is just what I am going to do.

Meanwhile I did get a quick sketch done again yesterday. It is a mill scene in the wood burning book that I tried to capture.

While we were walking the beach yesterday evening I happened upon this cute scene. I like to think it was a pelican giving a seagull a fishing lesson. Actually I think it was a pelican fishing and a seagull hanging around to see if anything would be dropped.

And here is the pelican enjoying the fruits of his labor:

Finally, here is last evening's sunset:

Also while walking yesterday the hubster and I found the fourth small sand dollar so now I have one for each of my little girls. I called my son yesterday and talked with Miss 7. She was just reading the letter I sent her and opening the Valentine's card that Papa sent. I talked to my son to find out that the last doctor appointment before next Wednesday's due date is tomorrow and all appears to be right on schedule. I am so looking forward to meeting this newest member of my girl tribe.

I talked with Little Miss 3 four times yesterday. The first time I called her Mom and then talked to her. She almost broke my heart because the first thing she said was, "Can I come to your house today, Nana?" She promised to have lots of hugs and kisses for me when we return. Later in the day my cell rang and it was her again. We talked for a little bit and then I lost the connection. She called right back and talked to both of us. When the phone rang again and it was her again, I asked to speak to her Mom because I thought she was playing with the phone. My daughter is working on numbers with her and by the third call, she remembered the number herself and didn't need any help.

I did find out that the weather has been above freezing at home and is expected to be in the 40s and may even reach 50 this week. The snow is melting fast and my kids and their kids are thinking Spring.
Hope you are well and warm,



  1. DH's wood burning is amazing, and the color really adds a lot. As usual, your photos are spectacular, and you did a nice job with the sketch. You got the perspective on the mill just right! hugs, nancy

  2. Charming! I love the wood burning.
    THanks for sharing

  3. Those wood burnings are amazing! And your sunset pics are always nice.
    A quick sketch is still a dream to me. I spend so much time sketching. Hope this will change with practice!
    Hope you get well soon!

  4. Wow--amazing wood burning pictures--love your photos too! I need to try more quick sketches.

  5. Hope your back is better, lovely photographs and sketches!

  6. Wonderful! I love the addition of the oil crayons! And your sketch and photos look great!