Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Life Drawing and Life In General

 Before I start today's post, I'd like to thank all of you for your wonderful comments and for all the positive energy you are sending my way. It made my day!


I drove into Jackson for my Life Drawing class this morning only to find that I had no cash on me, so I will owe double next time. I'm not sure what I was thinking (or not thinking) this morning. It felt good to be sketching again. I did a bit of drawing at Mom's, but not much.


Here is my first two 5 minute warm ups




And then I stayed for two 20 minute poses. I really have a hard time with hands and feet and am always tempted to just print the word "hand" or "foot" in their stead.





I always feel that I have to draw the entire figure, but wish I'd remember to just focus on some portion of it - like a hand or foot. Maybe I could see some improvement if I would do more of that.


I have a watercolor that I started a long, long time ago that has been calling to me. I think it needs shadows. Whenever I look at it I think it is too one dimensional and is mostly mid tones. I will be working on it a bit today and will show you my progress as I go. Comments and suggestions are certainly welcome.




I finally unpacked this morning before I headed to town for the life drawing class, but have quite a bit of house work to get this place ready for the annual Memorial Day party that we host here. I hope you are healthy and happy and that you are finding time for yourself on this fine May day.


xoxo

5 comments:

  1. I suggest that you write a post-it 'focus on hand' (or foot) and put that on your drawing pad before you get into class. Might help you figure out to draw only the hand or foot. I agree that your whole figure is complete but the hands and feet look more cartoonish than real.
    As for the watercolor, try adding some texture to the roof (tiles? shakes?) and deeper shadow to the doorways. That might be all it needs. Otherwise, it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I like your life drawing figures and I know what you mean about the hands and feet. I'm deathly afraid of drawing & painting them but I force myself nevertheless.

    I think your watercolour could definitely do with some shadows and you may even decide to add some much lighter areas too for contrast. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the figure drawings! I'm not sure how I would do in front of a group of other people. Would I be shy and timid? Not sure. I also like your landscape. I think I would only try to anchor the building onto the land more by placing some shadows on the ground around it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed with your figure drawings! Your proportions are great (have I said this before?). Maybe you should just draw some hands and feet ala the eyes, noses, and mouths done by someone else we know! lol hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, in your life session I think you should continue to work the whole figure, concentrating on the gesture of the pose. At home you have your own models of hands and feet that you can work on drawing, but hands and feet are hard. With a short pose don't even try to get details of hands just work on size and overall shape, hands are actually quite large, usually similar to the length of the face/head (length includes fingers)

    ReplyDelete