Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Rooster Sketch and A Quick Beach Scene

I really love roosters and chickens - I don't necessarily want to have one of them, but I find them fascinating to watch and sketch. Recently I bought a couple of placements at the dollar store; one with a rooster and one with a fruit still life. The rooster was looking at me yesterday and begging to have a sketch done. What could I do?


As you can see it is a 2-page spread and this little book doesn't quite open flat.


I've been watching some YouTube videos lately, some of which are presented by Matthew Palmer. He did one of a beach scene that I decided to try. I am still having trouble getting just the right mix of paint and water. 




Overall, I am disappointed in this, but I am quite pleased with the sky. After the sky dried and I was ready to start the water and the craggy bit things began to go a bit downhill. I dropped a wet brush into the craggy part; my color for the water was way too watery, and the sand wouldn't cooperate at all. After letting the whole thing dry, I worked on it some more, but this just made it worse. This is postcard sized and was good practice. Perhaps I will try again today.


I have a conditioning class this morning and think I am having lunch with Nancy and Julia afterward, so I'd best get this day started. I hope you are doing well and that you are finding time for your self and that your muse is standing by.


xoxo

11 comments:

  1. Vicki I think the beach scene is good. I absolutely love the sky, and you showed that sense of motion and waves to the water quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, the sky is splendid! You could try to lift some of the color out of both the water and the sand, then after it dries, you could take an xacto knife and scrape some whitecaps in the water. It was nice having you back this AM! We didn't go to lunch without you, so maybe next week? hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I forgot to tell you that I love the rooster! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got chickens (six hens and a rooster) in January! I love having them. They are so fun to watch! I should email you some pictures to draw from! Currently we have two hens sitting on three eggs each. Will definitely send you pictures of the chicks!

    Wonderful sketch of the rooster and your landscape is quite good. I think the only thing is that it needs some fading (graying?) of the water as it goes into the distance to give it depth. I absolutely LOVE the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your rooster and that sky is spectacular! Keep practicing and your ocean will get that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely sketch, and love the clouds! You did a great job Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sky and I love the rooster. It looks like a quick sketch yet there is so much life in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the rooster sketch ~ fantastic and agree sky is awesome painting is good and it only get better,thanks, namaste, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sketch is splendid!! I am laughing at your share about the painting. I was teaching last week, 4th graders, and while we were talking about what BEing an artist means I shared that most every artist sees what is "wrong" or "off" or just NOT in their work. I suggested that there is no right or wrong, their is only each of our unique way. Making art is NOT about the product, rather it's about the process, the discoveries, and the adventure. I've been teaching this all year, and it has made me approach my own art-making in a far more refreshing way. I love the feel of your painting, how all the elements, sky, clouds, sand, water, and whatever is the bluff or bush or ??? It resonates with me. I love your sharing YOUR process with it. It is so generous of you!!

    By the way, last year I painted water for the first time. It is a whole other thing, really, and I think mayBE that is what is so infuriatingly wondrous about it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicki your sketches and paintings are really nice! yes,lovely sky! Have you ever browsed thru Roz's blog? she is absolutely fab at roosters and all birds.. http://rozworks.com/mid0816.html
    Gina(A.R.T.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gina,

    Yes, I love Roz's blog and am a subscriber. She is really good at farm (fair) animals, isn't she?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete