Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

This and That

In the past couple of days I've been doing a bit of sketching in between bursts at the watercolor/soft pastel beach scene and haven't taken the time to post them, so today is a bit of a miscellany. First up, a large flower trillium, which I sketched from a picture in my "Wild Flowers of North America" book.


This is in my Rhodia journal that I love, but the pages are a creamy color and as you can see the back of the page shows through.

I also did a quick sketch of a turkey that is actually a composite of several photos online and life. It is amazing the number of turkeys you see in the fields these days.


I should probably add some color.

I've added another "nature" drawing in my Dutch book - this time Pears hanging in a tree. I do seem to be going through a pear phase, both in my art and in my diet. I love pears!




And, last but not at all least, I've worked a bit more on the latest self portrait and am declaring it done. As a matter of fact, I think I will now use this sketch as my avatar as the one I am currently using is more than 5 years old.




This morning I have my life drawing class and will try to do freer sketching. I have some Conte sketching crayons now and am looking forward to trying them. I may take some colored pencils, too. I have a few errands to run and need to stop in to see Miss 4 to see if she has something I can use as part of the niche treasure for my altered book. I'd really like to try my hand at collage in the front of that book once the niche is done. I haven't done that kind of art in a while and remember really enjoying it.


I hope you are having a wonderful and productive (or lazy, as it suits) day and that you are finding time for yourself and your creative side.


xoxo

6 comments:

  1. very good portrait Vicki, well done on the shading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice job on the portrait, and I especially love the pears! hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, that's a wonderful portrait! And the turkey drawing is fine just as it is... i wouldn't add color. Some things have as much impact in black & white. (love the pears too...) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the self-portrait looks great! Definitely a good point to call it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, yes, you've definitely grown. Great self portrait. I've tried about 6 of them and not done too well. They are hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the sketches. Great portrait!

    ReplyDelete