Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Synchronicity

I got an email from my friend, Nancy, yesterday with a link to an art lesson on how to draw Adirondack chairs. You know that I've made several botched attempts to make a painting with Adirondack chairs on the beach. That project has been active in my head but nowhere else. The link was to Weekly Art Lesson and I followed it, played with sketches of Adirondacks, subscribed to the blog and to the weekly newsletter.


Here are my first feeble attempts:





I am planning to try watercolor again today in the hopes that I won't overwork it. I am planning to remember a video I saw in which Vinita Pappas tries to draw a garlic with watercolor paint using the fewest of brush strokes. I love how this woman paints and used to subscribe to her blog, but now it is a subscription and though I think it is probably worth it, it is beyond my means.


One of my favorite watercolor artists, Jean Haines, posted a still life of flowers in a pitcher on a windowsill for readers to attempt and I am hoping to try that today using the fewest brush strokes possible. I need to learn to walk away for awhile and then come back and look with fresh eyes.


I just got off the treadmill and need to go get some breakfast. I am planning to get on it again in a couple of hours. I think an hour a day in two half hour sessions is what I need to get rid of this extra flab I've put on over the course of the last month or so. I do want to look nice in my little black dress that I am wearing to an evening wedding in about 2 weeks.

For now I'll say tata. I hope you are keeping cool - it is another scorcher here today - and that you are able to find time to make art.

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki,
    Thanks for linking to my blog! Just for you, I'm going to use the chairs again next week in the perspective lesson.
    Your chairs are looking good, but do remember that the rectangular plane that you sit on starts on the ground and then slants up to a height comfortable for sitting. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful coincidence that you've found a tutorial on just what you're looking for at just the right time! Good luck with those chairs. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished painting. Isn't it HOT today. I keep telling myself "At least it's not snow."

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOHHH Good luck with the dress. xoxo terah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you found the link helpful! This heat is disgusting .... and Sandy, I think I'd rather have the snow! lol hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic attempts Vicki! And black evening dress sounds all so cool =)
    And yeah I agree with Nancy, I vote for snow ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your chairs. :-) The perspective on Adirondacks can be tricky and I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete