Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Time for A Slower Day

Monday turned out to be a much busier day than I wanted it to be, but we got lots accomplished around the house and that is a good thing. After I posted to my blog yesterday, I walked the treadmill for half an hour, then I vacuumed the floors with carpeting, swept the screened porch and the outside deck, did the laundry, washed windows (we are installing all new storm windows), cleaned up the mess of packaging materials from the new windows, swept the front porch and then went into town to get salt and carry it downstairs to the softener. Meanwhile the hubster spent that time removing the old storm windows, scraping, painting, and installing the new storms. He then started mowing the lawn, but the lawn mower finally bit the dust and is across the stream near the Adirondacks deader than a doornail. The question now is, how are we going to get it off the lawn? He just left to buy a new mower. We've only had two new mowers since we bought this house 32 years ago, so I think we've gotten value for our money.


On a lighter note, I did spend a bit of time in Fairbanks, Alaska, via Google and sketched a small house and truck. It isn't very good (the cobwebby looking things are supposed to be shadows) but it was fun and I did it because I read about the virtual paintout again on someones blog. I wonder if it counts to just do a sketch and not paint it?





Oh, I almost forgot to tell you about the mail I got yesterday. It was from the lovely Vivian Swift - you know, the author of "When Wanderers Cease to Roam". She has a new book about France coming out soon. She also has a very entertaining blog to which I've linked above. Be sure to check her out. And if you haven't yet read the book mentioned above, do give it a read. I have to admit, I didn't buy it (sorry, Vivian); I borrowed it from the library. It would make a great gift though, so who knows I may purchase it anyway.


Isn't this the cutest? 


I also saw a posting yesterday about the overabundance of redundant signs in our world and had to share one with you from Battle Creek. I have taken a picture of this sign more than once. I think it is a hoot.





And before I leave you for the day, I'd like to share another hummer photo with you.


I love these little guys.

I read a book that my friend Nancy loaned to me and just loved it. It is written as a series of letters from a variety of people. It was a very good, fast read. It is called "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society". I recently took the little girls to the library where I selected three new books to read. I just finished "Minding Jackie" by Maeve Binchy  I liked it as much as all her others. I have two other books by other authors to read and may begin one of them today.


I also hope to work on my watercolor. I just have to chase away my inner critic who seems to be chanting "You'll ruin it. You always do." She is such a nasty woman! 


I hope you aren't being harassed by your inner critic and that you will find time to do something just for yourself today.

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. No painting required for the Virtual Paintout, in spite of the name! I submitted an ink drawing for the Cote d'Azur month.

    I had a friend who loved Maeve Binchy books. I was always a little put off by the covers, they just didn't seem like my style, but my friend said I shouldn't let that stop me. Maybe one day I'll get around to reading one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ignore your inner critic and go for it! I've just attempted to use watercolours for one of my journal pictures even though I haven't really got a clue what to do! Just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you to get the cats from Vivian! I've admired her ever since I stumbled across her book a long time ago. Cool little sketch, and as always, great photos! See ya soon!! hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki: I read the book, Potato Peel Pie Society a couple of years ago...I was drawn to the title...I also read Vivian's book, When Wanders Cease to Roam. which I loved. Joined her blog a while back and have kept up a lively email correspondence with her ever since. I love her humor.

    I was awarded the same lovely card from her. I'm framing it.

    Just go with the water color...it's only paper and a little bit of paint. You won't learn a thing by NOT painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice sketch Vicki, and the cats are so cute! =) Awesome photos as always

    ReplyDelete