Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Trying out Watercolor on Coarse Handmade Paper

About a year ago, I read about Khadi paper on someone's blog (sorry I really don't remember whose it was) and decided to order some with the idea of using it in a handmade book, but when it arrived, it was so coarse I didn't think it would do. I put it up on a shelf and forgot about it. That is, until this weekend. I was rummaging around in my stash of paper to find something to do some practicing on and rediscovered this paper.  First I tried a couple of still life paintings without sketching first.


This began as an apple and a pear, but I thought the apple looked more like a tomato so added a tomato-like stem. This one is in traditional watercolor with just a bit of Neocolor II in the shadow area.


This one started out as a pear, but turned into a vase, with a pear beside it and then a silver watering can behind. This one was done completely with Neocolor IIs with just a touch of water added afterward.




Last evening I decided to try a beach scene on a larger piece of the same paper. I began by thoroughly wetting both sides of the paper. I had already penciled in a light sketch. The watercolors didn't act at all like I wanted them to. I ended up putting random spots of blue and gray in the sky and then spritzing it. I then did a quick color blocking of the middle and foreground.


The horizon line needs a bit of straightening.


I've decided to treat this as an underpainting and work over it either with soft pastels or Neocolors. I think overall I like the composition, but not the colors.


Late, late last night I did some sketches on watercolor paper and a quick sketch in a journal, but those will have to wait for another day. I'm going to get a bite before exercise class and just sit for a bit and catch up on the blogs to which I subscribe.


xoxo



5 comments:

  1. I really like these experiments. It's interesting to see what a new paper will and won't do. Your seascape is really nice, and in fact I do like the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how inquisitive and adventurous you are with your art. I wonder if the paper is without sizing. That may affect how it responds to water. hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a watercolor artist who used this paper for his landscapes and did beautiful work. I found it more absorbent than I wanted when I tried it but I guess, with practice, you can make it your own. Thanks for sharing - I like that something began as something - and became something else - which means you took a "problem" and made it work for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I don't know if you have figs where you live, but the one you are calling a vase, I am calling a fig. Now, I am hungry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually quite impressed that you managed to turn two pears successfully into other objects! When I've tried that sort of thing, the items always come out look less like either. :)

    I like the first one the best, it looks very smooth and finished.

    ReplyDelete