Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Watercolor Work in Progress and AB supplies

I've begun the water lily painting and am determined to take it slowly so that I let every layer dry completely before "messing" with what I've done so far. I have two very big problems when it comes to watercolor - one is that I tend to overwork my paint when I apply it and the other is that I frequently begin to add to a painting before the previous layer is dry. Both of these cause unattractive paintings.


So far on the work in progress, I made a very watery mix of yellow using an American Journey watercolor stick that I received as a gift in a Cheap Joe's workshop that I took two summers ago. Do you think it took me long enough to try this lovely thing? The color is Bumblebee Yellow.

Then I added just a teeny bit of Daniel Smith Quinacridone Coral to the mix and added that (I did remember to let the first layer dry completely.

I let that dry overnight and then this morning I applied Pebeo masking fluid on the stamens to keep them very light until I've gotten the darker oranges on the lily petals.


The white spots are caused by the sun shining through the closed blinds.


I am also working on an altered book with Elizabeth at Altered Book Lover and I spent some time looking through closets and wallpaper books for supplies. I must say I've found some wonderful things already and I've barely scratched the surface of all my stored junk supplies.


Here is just some of the pages in the wallpaper book that apply to my theme and a lovely paper napkin with a beautiful pear on it.







You'll notice there aren't just fruits in this selection, but vegetables as well. I was planning on a theme about fruits and was going to call this book Nuts about Fruit. Instead I think I am going to make it about eating foods that don't need a label to tell you what they are. I haven't chosen a title, but am thinking about something like Natural Selection or Eat Real or You Are What You Eat. I don't know yet - do you have any catchy titles that relate to this theme?


I have this entire day to myself and am quite excited by that. I will fit some time in to walk the treadmill and then hope to get the outside cover and inside front cover decorated in my altered book and then hope to cut a niche in the back. Once those are done, I will begin to think about pages. I've found so many supplies that I haven't used in a long time - in particular alcohol inks and Caran d'Ache Neocolors.


I am also hoping to begin to add color to the tiger lily watercolor. I am hoping to work loosely and naturally without overworking - no promises, but this is all about learning and growing. I am feeling like my muse is looking over my shoulder and offering some support.


Right now, I am going to go make myself some scrambled eggs with veggies to get this day started.

I hope you are doing well and that you can make some time for yourself and your creativity.


xoxo

5 comments:

  1. I'm working through Elizabeth's class too and I love the idea of your theme. So many possibilities! Your collection of fruits is looking really good...Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can'twait to see the finished lily. Would love to do ,ore watercolours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can speed up the drying process with a hair dryer held about 6-8 inches above the paper...but you probably know that already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're on a creative roll, and as usual, I'm way behind in my emails. So I have to say, we missed you today at Joe's! hugs,nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely creative day you have had- on so many projects too, Hooray for the Return of the Muse!

    ReplyDelete