Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

It's A Girl and More Watercolor WIP

There is another child to be born into my family in late February and I just found out yesterday that it is to be another girl. I think I am growing a girl tribe. My daughter and I were talking last evening about all the girls being born in our family, so I decided to actually do a count both on my side and on the hubster's side.

On my side there are 10 girls and 10 boys, but on the hubster's side there are 10 girls and 1 boy. On my side of the family from 9 girls and 5 boys the incidence of girls is the same as boys, but on the hubster's side from 6 boys and 2 girls the incidence of girls is overwhelmingly greater. I don't know what this means, but I did find it interesting.

I went to my watercolor class last evening and added some layers to my fisherman painting. Much of it I like and some of it needs work. Here is what I have so far:


 I still need to darken the front edge of the middle field and rough up the trail leading to the fisherman. I'd appreciate any other suggestions you might have for me.

 I've been looking through my pictures to see what I might attempt next and have decided to do a close-up of a gazania. I think I have shared this photo before, but I don't think an encore would be all bad. This is the one I will attempt to represent in watercolor:



No plans for today except to walk the treadmill and begin the sketch for this gazania watercolor. Anything else I accomplish will be icing on the cake. 

I am still tired - yesterday I thought I had sleeping sickness. I could not stay awake. Maybe I should add a nap to today's agenda.

xoxo

10 comments:

  1. if the fisherman is your center of interest, as his position puts him there design wise... then save the very lightest highlight against the darkest dark right there...then the eye will go there and from there roam around the rest of the scene...keep the background soft and cool to stay back.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your fisherman watercolor painting! I'm looking forward to the final version! And that photograph is merely stunning! *-* These colors! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the impending arrival of another granddaughter! You are truly blessed. Thanks for sharing the progress of your fisherman painting and I can't wait to see your gazania.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painting is coming along very nicely, and I think Winna is right on with her suggestion. I also love the idea of using the gazania for your next painting! Boys vs girls ... in my family 3 girls, my sweeties family 3 boys, 1 girl ... our son? 2 boys!! Something interesting to contemplate! We need to talk! hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely watercolor drawing so far. Congratulations with another girl! =) I seriously don't mind having more girls in the family. I do hope I'll get another niece too ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is coming along well. I wondered where the light was coming from as I can't see any shadows, just the reflection of the trees in the water. Putting in a few shadows or darkening just under the fisherman would ground him better.
    The Gazania is beautiful, an opportunity to play with colour?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's a great tip from winna. congratulations on the soon to be new granddaughter! Girls rock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painting is coming along nicely! One of the things I love about our group is how much I learn from the posts, but also the comments! Winna has a great suggestion. The photo is stunning and I think would be a great watercolor! Congrats on being a grandmother again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go outside and look at a tree. You will notice that limbs shart wide at the base and gradually get thinner to the end. Yours are pretty much the same size the whole way until you pinch them off at the end. This was pointed out to me by an early teacher in my own work, 25 years ago. I have never forgotten it and found this advise to really help my trees!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and serene, Winna has an excellent point and I think deepening some values will make it pop - I love to see WIP!!!

    ReplyDelete