Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Warbling Wednesday

I'm trying to make my blog titles alliterative because I am running out of meaningful titles and it makes it more fun for me to name them.

I have a sketch of a bird to share today, so I think the title is both fun for me and somewhat meaningful. I really like birds and think I am going to have to make my next watercolor from one of my sketches. Watercolor is really difficult and just when I think I am getting better, I completely botch what I am working on.

At any rate, here is my bird sketch:

I think the branch needs to be a bit thicker especially on the left.

I also spent some time yesterday trying to add color to my girl sketch using several different media. I ended up putting most of what I attempted in the trash. I did keep my colored pencil one even though I don't think it is very good. I am having a really hard time blending whether I try to use my fingers, a blending stump or just the pencil.


I'll keep trying.


While I was looking at old pictures and scrapbook pages I'd made I ran across one of my favorite pix of the older first cousins. This picture was taken in the school gym just after preschool graduation.

I wish they would have stayed this age for a bit longer. I can't believe they are now in 2nd grade.

I was supposed to be driving to Niles and then Stevensville today, but the weatherman has advised against it. It is fairly calm this morning, but they are predicting high winds, possibly gusting to 60 mph later this morning and throughout the afternoon. I've decided to postpone the trip for a couple of days.

Reminder: If you haven't yet entered the giveaway go to Monday's post and leave a comment. I will be drawing the winner on Thursday just after midnight (I guess that actually makes it Friday), but that means the deadline is Thursday at midnight.

I got all the way to the end of this post before I realized that my initial title (Tweet, Tweet Tuesday) really wasn't working for this Wednesday post. DUH! Sure glad I caught it before I posted.

I hope to see you tomorrow...

xoxo


5 comments:

  1. Your little bird is so cute. The face is enchanting. Those girls are darling. The one on the left has beautiful eyes.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice bird - I agree the branch could be a tad thicker on the left, but he's looking really good. The little girls are, of course, adorable, and yes, they do grow up way too fast! As for your portrait (which is, by the way very good!), I wonder if you've tried a Prismacolor colorless blender. It's looks sort of like a marker with thick and thin points on the ends. I have one (tho I must confess I haven't tried it yet), but maybe it would make blending the colors a bit easier. hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birds are soooo hard to draw. It took me way too long to sit down with a bird book and actually LOOK at them. This is a great first try. Your proportions and his ittle legs are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sketches Vicki, the improvement on lines is vast and obvious here ^^ Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent bird and the branch will be an easy fix. The portrait is wonderful! I think Nancy is talking about the marker version, but Prismacolor also has a blender in the color pencil version. I can't tell you much about how well it works though, as mine is still sitting in a cup, unsharpened!

    What a great photo!!

    ReplyDelete