Pages

Monday, February 9, 2009

As the World Turns

Catchy title, huh? I can't help but be reminded how the earth tilts on its axis this time of year to get us closer to the sun. The sun actually has a lot of warmth in it as it shines through the car window, and if you can find a spot out of the wind, it feels heavenly to feel the sun on your bare skin - skin that hasn't seen the light of day without cover in a long, long time.

I am feeling hopeful that this long, snowy period may actually come to an end sometime within the next 6 or 8 weeks and am so looking forward to spending time in the open air. My body craves the warmth and fresh air after being cooped up indoors for far too long.

I began my day today by sitting on a stool in front of the mirrors in the bathroom and drawing a blind contour self portrait. I had read that these were usually simian in appearance and mine certainly fits that description. I am going to have to spend time with lots of different objects doing both blind contour and regular contour drawings until I begin to 'see' better.



I finally began to develop my background to be cut into 4 x 4 pieces for my whimsical cats. I have sprayed it with a dark green and a medium yellow so far. I think I need to add something darker and am thinking of a wine color - not much - maybe just filling a paintbrush and spattering it randomly.




I have an art friend coming over this morning and we are going to make a trip to Hobby Lobby and other points as yet undetermined. We will have lunch out and talk about art and other things. We were trying to get together a couple of times a month, but family health and holiday seasons got in the way. I am looking forward to a lovely day. Although it is only 23 degrees right now, the sun is shining and the predicted high for today is 48 degrees. YAY!

Don't forget to enjoy this time and live in the moment!

3 comments:

  1. I've never tried that exercise before. I'll have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried this either. I'm going to go search it on google and see what this is about... pretty sure I won't like it. But I guess that isn't the point eh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki - I didn't get to see this earlier - bravo on the contour drawing! It's actually a wonder that it looks like a face - these are not easy. Our movements are not normally connected to our eyes in this way. It's part of the reason these exercises can help us learn to shift to the right side of the brain. Drawing a complex line drawing upside down also helps. Van Gogh's drawings show a powerful change one day - and it's obvious to most artists that change was when he learned to draw on the right (not the left).

    ReplyDelete