Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Pain, A Change of Plans and the AP

Apparently I overdid while at my Mom's house because my left shoulder is causing me a heap of pain and I don't seem able to shake it off. I am icing it and taking Ibuprofen, which is offering a bit of short term relief, but I am really hurting. This shoulder was acting up about a month ago and I could not pinpoint what caused it to be that way, but supposed it was from picking up my grandgirls who are getting too big for me to carry. I really don't know of any particular activity that caused the shoulder to hurt so badly this time, but think that maybe part of it is due to the AP (aging process). My sister has a doctor who frequently attributes her ailments/concerns to the AP.

I was planning to go to Ohio for an art weekend with almost a dozen women and I was so looking forward to it; but there is no way I can ignore this shoulder and I find that sometimes the only way to deal with it is to go to sleep. Wouldn't that be a great way to spend time with friends. I don't think so. I've got to admit that a part of my disappointment is due to the fact that the hubster provided 12 ATC sized pieces of wood for me to take. They are really nice and have rounded corners, are sanded and are about 3/4 of an inch thick. Perhaps I will take some to Kelli's next month to share.

Anyway while icing the shoulder for the umpteenth time yesterday, I sat at the computer and tried to make some art. Here are the results:




This is ATC sized and was fun to make. First I made the background pattern and then I used the Custom Shape Tool to draw the butterfly. I filled the butterfly with a gradient and then made another gradient on a separate layer. I then changed the blending mode of the upper layer until I saw something I liked. I believe I settled on Hard Mix to get this effect. The font is Beautiful Caps ES for the B and then Beautiful ES for the lower case letters.



I saw a cute little bluebird drawn from the front somewhat like this and really liked it, but I don't remember where I saw it. And I don't remember if it was part of a larger piece or what. I wish I could remember so that I could point you to that site, but alas another part of the AP is blocking my memory of it.

I have been tutoring Algebra this week, which is my favorite subject. I have a freshman nearby who hasn't chosen a schedule, but will call when needed and I have two juniors who are planning to come every Monday and Wednesday and then will call if they need more than that. I really appreciate having tutees, as the fees allow me to feed my art habit.

I hope you have a lovely day today. I cannot believe October is almost over. The little girls are so excited about Halloween and I am hoping to get pictures of their costumes. I suppose we have to buy some candy today, but we usually don't get more than a couple of trick-or-treaters because we don't live in a neighborhood; we live in the country.

I hope to get some kind of art done today. I should work on the wood piece I started last week. Some people think I should stop where I am, but I am not sure she is done.





What do you think? I am tempted to add more to the left hand side because I "see" a skull there with the eyes from the shapes and the shape along the border of the reddish portion. I'd love to get some input from you. Do you think it is done? In need of more work on the left hand side? Something else?

At any rate, I'd best get some ice on this shoulder and get started on my day. I hope to have something new to show you tomorrow.

Bye!






2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your shoulder. I can see, tho, that it hasn't impeded your making of art! I think the ATC is lovely, and the bird is really cute. I see the skull on the left side of your painting, too ... methinks he appeared in honor of Halloween. I do think the left side could use something, but I don't know what. Big help I am! har, har, har. hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki I would totally know it is a teapot.

    I hope that your shoulder starts to feel better soon, that can be painful.

    Fun being from a large family isn't it?

    Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete